Thank you to everyone who attended iOpener 2013! The event was a huge success, and we are already looking at ways we can make next year bigger and better!
LITE will be featuring an open house style event that will showcase the innovation and technology that is happening each day at LITE and our partners at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Working in partnership with INNOV8 Lafayette, an eight-day festival of innovation and creativity hosted by the community of Lafayette, this event is free and open to the public of all ages!
Stop by any one of the iOpener locations at any time between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
iOpener locations include the UL Lafayette Research park at 537 Cajundome Blvd. Lafayette, LA, 70506 and Fletcher and Rougeou Hall on Lewis Street on main campus!
Parking will be available at any of the parking lots at the UL LAfayette Research park to include LITE, Abdalla Hall and Picard Center.
Parking for the Main campus events will be at the Rougeou Hall parking lot and the Griffin parking lot.
Please note that the agenda is not finalized, and more events may added at any time!
LITE Lunch | 11:30 a.m.| Grab a bite to eat in the LITE parking lot with one of the famous Lafayette Food Trucks!
- Hibatchi Hero, Lil' Chubs and Pelon's Mexican Hot Dogs will be in attendance!
LITE Open House | 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. | 537 Cajundome Blvd. | Research Campus
This will be a walk-through event that allows individuals to tour the facility at their own pace. Visitors will start in the Theatre.
- Pixel Magic's "Behind the Scenes of Hollywood Movies" - Join Pixel Magic as they go behind the scenes of the visual effects (VFX) from major Hollywood movies.
- SPECIAL NOTE: From 10 AM - 1 PM the demonstration will be for all audiences and from 1 PM - 4 PM the demonstration will be focused on those who are interested in the more technical side of the VFX process.
Total Immersion Space (TIS) | LITE's 6-sided Virtual Reality CAVE:
- Full 3D Visualization - Get inside the Egg and join the LITE team as they guide visitors into data-sets in full 3D
FLEX Collaboration Space:
- Music Visualization - Have you ever wondered what it would be like to 'see' music instead of just hearing it? Join the LITE staff as they showcase their latest software that allows users to generate their own music visualization!
Academy of Interactive Entertainment Office, Second Floor:
- Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) - Join the staff and instructors at AIE Lafayette as they teach short courses on how to create video games and animations!
Executive Conference Room:
- Demystified: Unravel the "Magic" of Computer Programing! - Stop by the Center for Business Technologies (CBIT) for a quick game that simplifies the "magic" of our everyday technology!
1st Floor Lobby:
- Center for Innovative Learning and Assessment Technology at UL Lafayette - Join the CILAT Team as they demonstrate several educational iPad applications developed for elementary school children and K-12 education robotics challenges.
2nd Floor Lobby:
LITE's Outside Deck:
- Music-Viz Gaming: Stop by and play a motion-controlled video game - against music! This is the first time that this game is being showcased!
- Underwater Robots!: Ever wanted to drive your own underwater robot? Well today you can as we showcase our SeaPerch robots!
Abdalla Hall Open House | 10 a.m. -
4 p.m. | Research Campus
Only event at this location will the the National Incident Bus!
National Incident Management System and Advanced Technologies and the University Police Department:
- University Mobile Operations Center - Tour our Mobile Operations Center that provides on-side incident command when responding to emergencies, natural and man-made disasters or special events. The self-contained center has data/voice communications, video equipment, and a conference area. Take a tour and experience how the technology enhances the strategic, tactical, and support functions of the University's Incident Command System.
- "I Can't even do that sober" - Come try the Drug Impairment Goggles and see for yourself how the special lens technology allows the wearer to experience a realistic simulation of impairment. Compare you balance and athletic skills with and without the simulated effects of increased levels of intoxication and Blood Alcohol Content.
Picard Center Open House | 10 a.m. -
4 p.m. | Research Campus
This will be a walk-through event that allows individuals to
tour the facility at their own pace. Visitors will start in the Lobby.
Loyd Rockhold Distance Education Center:
War Room -- Data Center:
- Fostering Global Citizenship: The Impact of Immersion Education: 1 - 2:30 p.m. - Join the Picard's Distance Learning Staff as they connect Lafayette Immersion Educators with Immersion Education Experts in New Brunswick, Canada for a long-distance discussion using the centers distance learning capabilities. Demonstrations will also take place with students in LPSS's world language programs!
- "Pathways to Louisiana's Future" - The center's researchers will demonstrate the "Pathways" model which displays the paths individuals take from birth to entry into the workforce.
Cecil J. Picard Memorial Library:
- Self-guided Tours: To honor Cecil J. Picard, a museum-quality exhibit highlights the accomplishments of Picard's career from teacher to state superintendent of education. Picard's support for the Center, passion for continuous improvement of the educational system in our state, and belief in Louisiana's children will always be remembered and will continue to be a source of inspiration for our Center and individuals in Louisiana and beyond.
UL Lafayette Engineering Open House | 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. | UL Lafayette Main Campus
**This location will be on UL Lafayette's Main Campus
This will be a walk-through event that allows visitors to visit the different facilities at their own pace.
* This event will be held on main campus. Parking will be available in the Rougeou Parking Lot and the Griffin Parking Lot
- Mini Baja Vehicle: Watch students at UL Lafayette drive their own creation, the Mini Baja!
- Virtual Reality Demonstrations: Follow UL Lafayette students into their own 3D worlds in their 3D laboratory!
- Roman Crane: Have you ever wondered what it would be like to build structures in Roman times? Well now you will be able to do this on your own! Join the Civil Engineering department as they showcase their own human-powered Roman Crane that sits 75-feet tall! You and your friends can drive the crane as well!
- Steel Bridge: Check out the departments steel bridge displays and learn how you can make your own!